Resources for new parents
FINDS Board Members - reach out to talk or get connected with someone in our group.
It can be scary finding you are going to have a baby with Down Syndrome. This page will provide some helpful resources that will help you with a path to best help your loved one.
- and foremost, treat them as a child. Give them love, comfort, support. See them for what they are. A very young child that needs you to be there for them.
- Get their health checked. It is common for children with DS to have heart problems. Getting these identified and a treatment plan in place early will ensure they have the best chance at a wonderful life.
- Get Connected. Find a local support group and connect with regional and national resources.
- NADS - National Association for Down Syndrome
- NDSS - National Down Syndrome Society
- Ups for Downs - Schaumburg based Down Sydrome Parent Support Group
- FINDS - This organization - reach out to us and we'll be thrilled to talk and connect you with other local families. Come to an event. Have fun.
- Early Intervention. In Illinois, we have access to Early Intervention resources. You can get your child evaluated and get them into therapies. Some therapies to look into are:
- physical therapy
- occupational therapy
- speech therapy
- Books we recommend for new parents (all links go to Amazon):